Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Crashing the Disney SM Moms Celebration


Lets just start this off with "I *so* should have been there".
Disney hosted a first ever Social Media Moms Celebration (SMMC). And for reasons that make me the mommy that I am, I did not sign up to go. With that being said, I watched the Twitter-verse in envy the weeks & days leading up to the conference. A lot of mommy-bloggers that I have grown fond of...yes, shameless shout outs will be posted at the end ;)...Jen, Debbie, Lynne, Jackie, JL, Traci, Amanda..all were going to be there. How could I *not* have signed up to go & meet these fabulous people??
*cue "light bulb going on" type music*
I have an annual pass. These mommas were going to be in the parks enjoying some down time. I can go to the parks whenever I want....so, maybe, just maybe, I'll go on one of the days they are there..SCORE!!
*Ok, so it didn't take rocket science to figure that deduction out. Maybe a little of it (ok, maybe most of it) was slightly embellished for the purpose of interesting reading..but you get my point ;)*
In a completely unrelated coincidence, another Twitter friend of mine, Ali, was having a “tweet-up” Thursday night at the Polynesian. The SMMC itinerary had listed most of Thursday afternoon free. Perfection-Thursday it was! As the day grew closer, I realized just how important Thursday was. Disney was gearing up for a major press event for this conference & Thursday was the main event day. Yay me!
Just a few days before, I found out that another Twitter/blogger friend, Aurora, was also going to "crash the party". How exciting!! Now, I wasn't the *only* one to not be attending the conference!! I was so excited, but nervous too. I mean, online everyone got along fabulously, but what if we didn't "click". What if they had all bonded so much over the course of the first day of the conference, I was just an outsider? What if they thought I was an over-zealous nut just showing up & crashing the party? Oh, the things I put myself thru!! Still, it felt good to know that I wasn't the only one just "showing up".
We set out Thursday morning. I followed the Press Releases (ßDisney Blog Posts) all the way up. Things like
  • 600,000 people already signed up/volunteered hours thru Hands On Network
  • Ty Pennington was there
  • He said "Move those balloons"
  • The picture of the largest can sculpture does not nearly look as majestic on your cell phone as it does here
  • Demi Lovato & Joe Jonas were at the park
  • Did I mention Ty Pennington was there?
I think I am still floored that 600,000 people have volunteered already..and the program had only been in effect for 6 weeks. That is an incredible amount of man-power & community fellowship. But, we'll save that for another blog post.

2 comments:

  1. As a fellow Disney Blogger = Great Job! Can not wait to read more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awwww...we are FABULOUS!

    I love you Maria!

    ReplyDelete